After our latest post about a penis museum resonated so well with our readers, I decided to search for another weird museum. This time I came across something truly morbid, the Museum of Death..
The museum is located in California and was founded back in 1995 by JD Healy and Cathee Shultz. The about page on their website explains what exactly you can find at this gruesome place:
Evolving from the controversial Rita Dean art gallery, the Museum of Death was originally located in San Diego’s 1st mortuary- the building itself once owned by Wyatt Earp. Now located in Hollywood, California and New Orleans, Louisiana, the Museum of Death houses the world’s largest collection of serial killer artwork, antique funeral ephemera, mortician and coroners instruments, Manson Family memorabilia, pet death taxidermy, crime scene photographs and so much more!
Having not been here before, I am relying on reviews on from other people. Some people say it is very graphic and gory. Others say don’t eat before you go as you may lose your lunch. Watching the video I linked below, I was amazed to see they actually have a two-headed turtle as a pet at the museum. I’m a turtle lover and the only place I have found a two-headed turtle to date was the toy one I purchased in the Ripley’s Museum in Texas a few years ago.
There are two locations and since the museum only houses original content and exhibits, each experience is unique. To view the museum, you wander on a self guided tour and you can finish it in about an hour. They don’t have an age limit on entries, but they recommend it is for mature audiences only. I would say leave the kids home for this one! Entrance is $17 USD a person.
If you are a photo or social media buff, don’t count on taking any photos. They have a notice on their website that explicitly states rules of conduct like no photography or cell phones allowed, no food, drinks or bags in the museum.
They have an extensive online shop if you want some death related goodies, but mostly t-shirts. If you want to get a feel of what the museum is like, give the video by Wild Travels TV a watch below.
Location: 6031 Hollywood Blvd., Hollywood, California, United States.
- penis museum: Erin Chapman, “The Penis Museum of Iceland,” Morbid Planet, August 21, 2018, accessed September 1, 2018, https://morbidplanet.com/2018/08/21/the-penis-museum-of-iceland/.
- Ripley’s Museum in Texas: Erin Chapman, “Trip to Texas: The Vampire Studies Symposium and More,” Vamped, April 9, 2016, accessed September 7, 2018, https://vamped.org/2016/04/09/trip-to-texas-the-vampire-studies-symposium-and-more/.
- The Museum of Death actually has two locations. One in Hollywood, California and another one in New Orleans, Louisiana. The location we have covered is located in Hollywood. If you would like further information on the other location you can find it on their website.
- “MUSEUM OF DEATH Los Angeles – WildTravelsTV.com,” YouTube video, 3:22, posted by Wild Travels, July 30, 2016, accessed September 7, 2018, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wXLLuvzdqc&feature=youtu.be.
- I emailed the Museum of Death requesting photos and as of writing this, I didn’t receive a reply. Feature image is from their website.